As a lifelong member of the Gainesville community, I am proud and honored to represent the residents in District 1 on the Gainesville City Commission.
I was born and raised in Porters, which is a wonderful, historic, African-American community that began in 1884 and is located between downtown Gainesville and the University of Florida.
I am a former business owner and one of two Black women in the history of the City of Gainesville to serve on the City Commission, simultaneously. Over the course of the last 2-1/2 years, I have spearheaded various projects, programs and ordinances including:
- Creation of (EGCTERI) Education and Relief Initiative which is dedicated to providing residents of East Gainesville with access to coronavirus testing, personal protective equipment and educational information in the fight against coronavirus.
- Development of the Health Access and Equity Advisory Group to discuss ways to improve health access points and expand health care services in east Gainesville and eastern Alachua County.
- Installation of a crosswalk on NE 8th Avenue and 17th street
- Expansion of senior recreation options in East Gainesville
- Adoption of the abandoned shopping carts ordinance
- Creation of SKYBRIDGE educational program
I also serve on two statewide committees. Currently, I am Vice-Chair of the Florida League of Cities Transportation and Intergovernmental Relations Committee and a member of the Florida League of Cities Resolutions Committee, respectively.